Thursday 13 February 2014

Handmade sofas

I spent an interesting morning in a workshop on how a sofa is made by hand by Dudgeon based in Fulham. They have over 67 years of making beautiful yet comfortable handmade furniture.

This was my first time to see sofas being made. Ive always admired handmade furniture but to see all the components put together was a very interesting and yet I say it an exciting experience. Having had years of procuring sofas for my clients it brought another level of interest for myself to see the craftsmanship and hours of immense labour which goes into a piece of furniture the good we all take for granted.

The frames are made from beech wood with dowelled, glued and screwed joints.





Individual "double cone hourglass coil" springs are tied by hand to cotton webbing at the base of the frame to give a stable sprung seat platform. 







A layer of lambswool is added for softness before the barrier cloth and the outer fabric are added.If there is a cane sprung seat edge, an extra row of 4" or 5" springs is added to give natural comfort. 




All pieces are finished with sewing by hand.





The picture above was of a footstool which was diamond tufted .......... Absolutely stunning effect! 
The experience left me inspired and wishing to have a go at a diamond tufted wall panel!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Decking

Inject Colour in Your Garden by Paint

I like to think the garden being an extension of our home and why not give our timber as much care as our interior walls?  I'm...